Monday, June 22, 2020

1966 SPIDER-MAN Aurora Model Kit Re-Issue! Re-Built and Crazily Customized!

Here's another fun model kit re-issue that was a blast to re-build! It's the Polar Lights re-offering of the famed 1966 Spider-Man model kit from Aurora! I added lots of fun features when assembling this larger-scale re-issue, so follow along below! Click images to enlarge!

Above: I carefully detailed Spidey's suit webbing, with a very fine artist's pen!
Also note his reflective metallic eye-pieces!


Above: I wanted to add a more realistic and "organic" web-line, so
I used some fine mesh fabric for the job!


Above: I had a ball detailing Kraven, using not only enamel
paints, but paint pens, artist's pens, marker...




Above: I added a colorful gradated background to the transparent "web-wall" behind the kit!
















Above: I also added some grit to the floor, along with using dry-brushing
techniques to add textures and darker areas...







Above: So, where did the Aurora firm get the idea for this particular scene?
The above panels come from AMZING SPIDER-MAN # 34, from
early 1966!


BONUS: Click here to see my customized Aurora Hulk kit, and here to take a peek at the Captain America model kit!


4 comments:

Michael Miller said...

Al, what did you use for the webbing on the Spider-Man model? I have an old Aurora Spidey whose original web didn't survive my last move. Looks like some sort of netting or mesh fabric?

Al Bigley said...

You are correct!

Al

superflash said...

WOW! (And I am jealous). In my teenage years one I had to try twice to make a decent one. Used India ink for the weblines on his costume after reading that in a letters column. That backdrop sucked the first time. My Comic Scenes one (my third of it) I got on clearance in Houston...and the backdrop was not completely formed correctly!!!! So, it never got painted.

Unknown said...

looks great! I built one recently using cheese cloth glued to a clear flexible plastic sheet for the webbing, for a ragged look. Used an ultra fine sharpie for the webbing on the costume.