Friday, April 1, 2011

The X-MEN?! 1980 Albert Bigley Original Comic Art! Wolverine! Cyclops! Marvel?!

Another blast from my art-ridden past! Here is my version of not only the "original" X-Men, but also the (then) new team! Achieved by (what else?) taping two standard drawing sheets together side-by-side, this extra big illustration is jam-packed with such Marvel Comics favorites as the Beast, Cyclops, Angel, Wolverine, Iceman, Storm, and Nightcrawler! You even get TWO great shots of the ever-sexy Professor X! Drawn by me in 1980 (age 15), I was inspired by the super-hot ('cause they were so good) Chris Claremont/John Byrne X-MEN comics, then gaining major attention due to the quality of the book. I was still struggling with anatomy, composition, and inking (all inked by Flair pens bought from the local Eckerd drug store), to the extent that this now looks sorta like a precursor of the over-cooked "Image style" to come in ten years time! Glad I learned that "less is more!" Click to enlarge!


No comments: