Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Monkees! Drawn by--Jack Kirby?! True! Who Says a Comic Has to Be Good? Not BRAND ECHH!

What?! The same comic artist who breathed life into Captain America, Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Thor, once drew the pop superstars, the Monkees? True! Dig this pandemonium-producing panel from Marvel's humor mag NOT BRAND ECHH # 3, from the swingin' summer of '67! Not only do the Monkees appear to be touring Thor's Asgardian home, but so do many other luminaries of the era! Bobby Kennedy! Muhammad Ali! Bob Dylan! How many more can YOU name, old timer? A rare glimpse at the "King's" humorous caricature abilities! Click each to enlarge, and remember: Irving Forbush lives!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, in addition to the Monkees, Dylan & Bobby K, I'm seeing Martin Luther King Jr., Mao Tse-Tung, Don Knotts, LBJ, Jackie Gleason, Charles deGaulle, Herman & Grandpa Munster, Frank Sinatra with Mia Farrow, Alfred E. Newman, Liz Taylor & Richard Burton. The only one I'm having trouble with is the guy with the mustache to the right of the Munsters. James Mason maybe?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Muhammed Ali & Mitch Miller. Spotted them, just forgot to type them in.

Steve Purcell said...

Guy with stache = Peter Sellers?

wordsmith said...

He looks like Adam Clayton Powell.

Booksteve said...

I've always loved that panel but I'm not so sure the Monkees are drawn by Kirby. No question that Dylan was added by mirthful Marie and quite frankly, MLK looks like a cut and paste from Mort Drucker (!!) Those aren't Kirby faces on Frank and Mia either and I really don't see any Kirby in The Monkees' faces either.

Oh, and I'm gonna go with Sellers on Mr. 'Stache since Powell was never that thin.

Al Bigley said...

To me, the Monkees look like the ONLY thing Jack drew in that panel!

Al Bigley

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Errol Flynn as he's close to Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers. Yes, I know I'm late to the party.