Tuesday, October 7, 2014

CAPTAIN AMERICA! 1975 Original Comic Art! Frank Robbins Strikes! Falcon! Marvel!

Here's another piece of indelible art from my own collection! Below is a pulse-pounding page (pencilled by fearless Frank Robbins), as seen within the memorable CAPTAIN AMERICA #190, from the sizzling summer of '75! Robbins was a controversial artist then, in those days when the comics characters had an established "look" (as opposed to today, where anything goes), so many fans were less than thrilled over his wild lay-outs, dizzying sense of motion, and rubbery, dynamic figures! Like him or no, he's not helped here by the anemic inks by Vince Colletta (did somebody say "controversial?") on this page, but…Just click below to enlarge!

Above, left: The original '75 artwork from CAP #190, by Frank Robbins
and Vince Colletta, and how it appeared (right) in the actual comic!


Above: The artwork, as displayed in my own home!
You can view that 1979 ANT-MAN cover here!


BONUS! Click below to enlarge the captivating cover that housed the above awesome art!

Above, left: The cover art to 1975's CAPTAIN AMERICA #190, by Gil Kane
and Joe Sinnott! Also, note the many uses of this amazing art, appearing

on a 70s  "Slurpee" cup and a drinking glass, both from the 7-11 folks!


3 comments:

david_b said...

Yep, I was one of the thousands who couldn't stand Robbins. I vividly recall being thankful Trimpe came in for ish 184, SAL in 188, before the King finally took over in ish 193.

I personally would like to have been a fly on the wall when the Editors told Frank he had to go.

But the CA&F cover was a nice one, especially for the glass art.

Still hoping to buy one on eBay soon, haven't thought about it in a while.

Al Bigley said...

Yep, could not STAND Robbins then.

Now? I think he was close to genius…

Al Bigley

Ben Herman said...

Al, I suspect that many people had similar experiences with Frank Robbins' artwork. Certainly that is true for me. When I was a teenager in the 1990s buying up a great many Bronze Age back issues, including The Invaders and Captain America, at comic conventions, I really did not like Robbins' work. Then as I got older I started to develop an appreciation for it. Eventually I became a fan of Robbins. He may not have been especially well-suited to superheroes, but he did some absolutely amazing work on Batman, horror, mystery, war, Westerns and even humor stories.