Monday, October 20, 2014

1973 CAPTAIN AMERICA Original Comic Art! Falcon! Phoenix! Sal Buscema! Marvel!

Back again with yet another goodie from my own overstuffed original art collection! This time, it's a famous page from the classic CAPTAIN AMERICA #168, from 1973! Illustrated by Sal Buscema and George Roussos, this page featured not only an imperiled Cap, but also his swingin' 70s partner, the fabulous Falcon! They've paired to take on the Phoenix, a forgettable (but very well-designed) super-foe who just happened to be the son of Baron Zemo! This indelible issue is also remembered as the one picked to receive the "book and record" treatment from Power Records in 1974! Click images below to enlarge!

Above, left: The original 1973 art from this memorable issue, and (right), the printed version!


Above: The awesome art, as displayed in my home!


BONUS! Click below to gape at the captivating cover that housed the above artwork!

Above: The 1973 cover by Sal Buscema and John Verpoorten! How impressed
was an 8-year-old me with this cover image? Just click here to find out!


BONUS BONUS! Click below to see me (dressed as "cowboy Cap") at the 2016 Heroes Con comic convention! A generous dealer lets me hold the cover to the above fabulous CAP issue! 




BONUS BONUS BONUS! Click below to hear an excerpt from the 1974 Power Records version of this issue, dramatizing the events depicted on the very pulse-poundin' page seen above! Read as you listen!

5 comments:

david_b said...

One of my first CA&F, and a big favorite of mine, I was 10 at the time. HUGE Cap fan, that Power Records was the only one I had purchased from that series.

Fantastic art.

Al Bigley said...

Yep! I came in just a few issues before this one, so is it any wonder Sal Buscema will always be THE Cap artist to me?

Al Bigley

david_b said...

Same here, but I started with the 'somewhat-different' Alan Weiss in ish 164, then missed the next few and found this issue.

As much as I loved/breathed/slept CA&F, after that 'Secret Empire/Nomad' trajectory with Sal and Steve.., it virtually crashed when Mr. Robbins came in and moreso with 'King Kirby'. Sal was back for ish 188 but other than that, eh..

I obviously like Jack more now, but back then, the end had come.

Al Bigley said...

Yep, that was me then, too..

"Jack Kirby? When is the 'good' CAP artist coming back? You know, Sal Buscema?!"

Heh.

Al Bigley

Mike P said...

Hey, Al, just saw this! Boy, I am Hulk-green with envy!! I would kill (with kindness) for a page from that book. It was my very first newsstand issue of Cap. (The next, for some reason, wasn't until 174, when I started collecting. I immediately picked up a couple issues before it from various drug and grocery stores.)

Wonderful art from a wonderful storyteller. Even with my love for Jack, Gene and Johnny, Sal will always have a special place in my heart with Cap.
I agreed with david_b about Robbins (no offense meant)--I literally CRIED when I saw #182 and prayed every month for Sal to come back (tho I was even more thrilled about Kirby).

Loved the Power Records excerpt...Is it me or does Cap sound a bit like John O'Hurley from SEINFELD? :-)

Thanks and continued success always!