Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Word on Watermarks.

OK. A few (very few) "fans" have written in, with angry e-mails about the inclusion of my handsome little "Big Glee" watermark, seen embossed on almost (but not all) images displayed here on my blog.

"Who do you think you are to claim ownership on these things?"

"You must have some ego!"

"You only steal images, then claim them as yours!"

Wrong. On all counts.

The images here are mostly from my collection (others shared by fully-credited fans or fellow collectors) of very rare items. Items I could just sit on and never share, but are seen here, for fans of a like-minded nature.

But, why the watermark? Simple. These images get shared (and, yes, sometimes stolen) out of context from this blog, and I want site visits, not credit. I want eyes back on my blog so that it will generate money. Money that pays for hosting the images. For having the site. For having video. For hosting audio. It all costs me.

How many grand greenbacks do I rake in, using this oh-so-devious "watermarking/branding" scheme?

About fifteen cents a day. 

But, it helps to bring these things to you.

Oh. Add in my copious time finding, buying, scanning, color correcting, reformatting and "fixing," researching, writing,  posting…Yeah. That's in there, too.

So that's the whole, unglamorous, unexciting tale. Not very exciting, but here it is. It's just me trying to have a fun hobby, bringing rare treats to those who (I hope) will enjoy them!

Still angry over my little watermark?

I can only offer one suggestion.

Look elsewhere.



5 comments:

david_b said...

Great response sir. Behind you all the way.

Hobgoblin238 said...

I have a blog. It costs nothing to run it. Why do you say blogspot costs to run?

Do you comment on other blogs? Perhaps those that are complaining could be shown some goodwill by you showing interest to others? Just a thought...

Al Bigley said...

I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

Google charges me for hosting all images. SoundCloud charges for hosting audio files…

Then, there's the cost of acquiring these items.

Then, add in time spent scanning, researching, color correcting, formatting…

The watermark is placed so, if seen out of context of this blog, the items bring eyes back here, and, hopefully, a few cents are earned, cents that go into keeping the above happening…

I enjoy a few other blogs, by try only to comment if I have positive things to say…

I also promote MANY other blogs, on THIS very blog...

All the best!

Al Bigley
(Who is never anonymous online, or hides behind any "aliases…")

Captain Blog said...

Hobgoblin238 said...
"I have a blog."
Well,I have a blog too. I don't have as much interesting stuff as Al does, however. Yours doesn't either. Al is kind enough to share his history with comics as an insider and a fan. If you want his images so much, go buy the book, toy, etc that he has up or just ENJOY THE BLOG FOR WHAT IT IS.
Al's a nice guy and scanning and storage and research can be a pain. He is nice enough to share.
Give the man his 15 cents for gosh sake's!

Al Bigley said...

Thank you, sir!

Al Bigley