Monday, May 20, 2013

FANTASTIC FOUR FAQs! The Fabulous Fact-File Feature on the Freaky Foursome! See and Hear! 1974 Marvel Comics!

Back again with another inside info page on superhero origins! This time, the darling and dimpled dudes at DYNAMITE magazine help out with a 1974 fact file on the Fantastic Four! This kid's mag looks at the pace-setting "first family" of Marvel Comics, and what made them stand out from the usual crime-fighting throngs of the day! We get to see an actual excerpt from the (now very expensive to collectors) first FF issue from 1961 (only a mere 13 years old then), by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and, tho a bit crude compared to what was to come, it displays the excitement and drama that would soon mark the FF as one of the most innovative and exciting comics around! Click below to enlarge!


This was the first issue of DYNAMITE that a 9-year-old me owned (purchased from a local
supermarket after seeing it at school book fairs, and in other kid's homes), and I bought every
subsequent issue for the "Superheroes Confidential" column alone! I was largely unfamiliar
with the FF at the time, but the above Q&A column made it clear that this comic, and
these characters, where unlike any superheroes I had ever encountered before, such as
the simpler (and less "realistic") kid-aimed crime-busters from Marvel's rival
firm, DC Comics!


BONUS! This same awesome issue came with a pull-out poster of the famed FF, and all you have to do is glance below to see said pulpy pin-up!


The above huge (16 by 21 inches) poster featured art by sensational SPIDER-MAN
artist, John Romita, Sr.! The art was originally seen that year on the cover of an
FF oversized "Treasury Edition," and would later be spotted on toy packaging, action
figure boxes, Slurpee cups, and other bits of merry Marvel merchandise!




BONUS BONUS! Click below to see me, with the above poster, along with other examples of that famed image used on past and current Marvel-related merchandising efforts!





BONUS BONUS BONUS! Click below to hear an excerpt from a 1974 (was that the year of the FF?!) Power Records FANTASTIC FOUR book-and-record set! The foursome's awe-inspiring origin is recapped in this recording, and almost matches the above 1961 comic pages word-for-word!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful stuff. I grew up in the early 70's and I was a fiend for comics, and also for the Dynamite and Smash magazines. Thanks for showing them here. I've acquired most of the stuff I remember from my childhood, but there was an article featuring Thor's rogues gallery that I'd love to get. Until I get my sweaty little hands on it, I'll have to live in hope. In the meantime, I'll monitor this blog. Thanks also for the Spiderman newspaper reprints...takes me back.

david_b said...

Sir, that poster is UBER-AWESOME.

I recall having it up proudly along side my Steranko Foom poster back in '74 and I usually bought the other Dynamite issues as well for most hero posters.

Including the Hulk poster, I believe those were the only two superhero posters they did, which was irritating because I SO HOPED for a Cap poster when they presented Cap inside.

Actually, I just picked up a PRISTINE copy of this FF ish (with John Denver cover), poster still unattached, for only $20 on eBay..

Whaaat a deal.

I liked it on the Treasury Edition cover, but that poster was sweeter for including the FF comic masthead/logo on the upper left.

Between the regular title, the MGC reprints and Benjy's MTIO title starting, 1974 WAS the year for FF. I really got into the Reed/Sue separation storyline and loved the Medusa issues. Most folks thought the post-Kirby tenures tanked in the 70s, but I still loved Big John's art since I started collecting with issue 138.

Great Post..!!

Al Bigley said...

David-

Thanks for the comments!

Have to agree with every point!

I missed owning the Hulk DYNAMITE issue (seeing it at a pal's house and envying it), but came on board for this FF issue, and all the rest!

Was SO disappointed when the mag dropped the "Superheroes Confidential" column for the awful "Dynamite Duo" strip! I even had a subscription then!

Al Bigley