Saturday, December 8, 2012

Captain America vs. Moonstone! 1979 Albert Bigley Original Painted Art! Marvel?!

As stated in previous panicked posts, I worked with oils, acrylics, tempera, and watercolors for a time in the late 70s, when I was around age 14. I was inspired by the rare painted posters and covers from that period, such as those on the Marvel ORIGINS books, or the fronts of the HULK magazines! Below is my imperfect ink and watercolor take on the cover to CAPTAIN AMERICA #170, published in 1973! I always loved any art by John Romita, Sr. and Gil Kane, so, 6 years after their captivating CAP cover made the scene, I just had to tip my paintbrush in their direction! Sure, it's fairly impressive for a 14-year old, but where's that "Marvel magic?" It looks like a clumsy Cap took a gentle tumble, and ol' Moonstone is ready to help him back up, on their way to the picnic in the park! What it lacks in action and drama, it sure makes up for it in the color department! Whew! Click to enlarge!




BONUS! Click below to see the killer cover art for 1973's CAP #170, the very image that inspired the above poorly-planned painting!



No comments: