Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Aquaman Attacks! 1975 Albert Bigley Original Art! DC Comics?!

Another fabulous masterpiece (?) from my youth! Here is my take of the aquatic avenger himself, Aquaman! This action-oriented piece was drawn by me in 1975, at age 10, after being greatly impressed by the beginning of a wonderful (and still largely overlooked) Aquaman run in ADVENTURE COMICS, one which actually led to the Sea King receiving his own book again! I was not only inspired by amazing artist Jim Aparo and the wonderful use of action, foreshortening, and drama in his art, but even his signature! I desperately tried to ape his famed "JA" personalization, coming up with my own "AB" trademark, as you see in this illo on the lower left! Not too bad for a youngster trying to depict the unappreciated undersea emperor! Click to enlarge!

Good thing those sea-faring thugs are such terrible shots! And, what the heck kind of guns are they using?!


BONUS! Click below to see the cover that inspired this sea-soaked 
sensational scribble! The start of the awesome 70s Aqua-epic, ADVENTURE COMICS #442!



No comments: