Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Revenge of the Sticker Sheets! DC Comics! Batman! Green Lantern! Our Way Studios!

Yep! Just when you've recovered from my previous pulse-pounding post about the 1975 Marvel Comics sticker sheets, we back-track a few years earlier (to 1973) to cover the DC stickers, also produced by the fine folks at Our Way Studios! Like the later Marvel set, this HUGE sheet featured some of the most gorgeous superhero art, by such stellar stars as Nick Cardy, Gil Kane, Neal Adams, Curt Swan,and others! In full, blazing, color, and on glossy paper, this was one swell comics item to snag in those days! Click images to enlarge and enjoy!



















BONUS! Dig below to see rare pics of the mid-70s DC Comics "ComicMobile," decked out in the DC stickers you see above! The "ComicMobile" was an ill-fated attempt by DC to model a mobile comics distribution service around the bookmobile services libraries provided! That's Bob Rozakis (DC's "Answer Man") below, the main driver and selected operator for the "ComicMobile's" short life!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other drivers of the Comicmobile were Michael Uslan, who went on to fame and fortune as producer of the Batman movies, and Bruce Hamilton, who is in the other photograph you've posted.

--Bob Rozakis

Al Bigley said...

Thank you for that!

Al Bigley

Bob said...

I had a sheet of those stickers. Used them all except for the large Batman, which I think I still have somewhere in my basement.

I also lived in one of the Comicmobile test neighborhoods. I was 14 at the time, and the van would stop right in front of my house once a week. I met Bob and Laurie Rozakis (not in costume), and still see them occasionally at cons and other events.

Anonymous said...

Any idea who did the Wonder Woman artwork for these? It appears to be the same art used for the patches and for the 1976 Pepsi glasses. A group of us are trying to figure out who the artist was. Help! LOL! Seriously tho... help.

Al Bigley said...

Looks like most of the art was by the DC regulars from that time. Wonder Woman look like the work of Murphy Anderson, and the others appear to be created by Neal Adams, Nick Cardy, Curt Swan, etc...

Al Bigley

Anthony Tollin said...

I still have a sheet of those stickers ... because I was the colorist on them.

Anthony Tollin said...

Oops. No, turns out I wasn't, not on this 1973 set of stickers ... though I was the colorist on a later set that reused many of the same images.