Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Christmas in May! 1975 Marvel HOLIDAY GRAB-BAG Cover Art! John Romita Sr.!

Need to cool off during this already-hot Spring season? Take a gander at this original art for the cover to 1975's MARVEL HOLIDAY GRAB-BAG! Created by Jazzy John Romita Sr., this bold cover sports all the characters featured in the reprints within this oversized volume, such as Spidey, Luke Cage, Nick Fury, Hulk, and even Dr. Strange! Not fighting and feuding, but coming together for some refreshing and peaceful holiday cheer! Click to enlarge, like the Grinch's once-shriveled little heart!

4 comments:

Al Bigley said...

Some of those inks, especially on the revised Dr. Strange figure, look to be by Frank Giacoia!

Larry Dempsey said...

I have that issue! I'm very fortunate to be able to say that I still have a lot of those old treasury-size books. I love `em. I still consider them to be huge now, but they were ENORMOUS when I was a kid. Can you imagine getting a book that size for $1.50 today?

Larry Dempsey said...

What does the average comic cost today? $3.99? And in my opinion, the art and stories are nowhere near as good -- or as FUN -- as they were in years past. For all their hyper-detailed art, over-rendered coloring, and antiseptic "lettering," they can't beat the glory days of Kirby, Romita, The Buscemas, Kane, Colan, etc. End of rant. Sorry. Starting to show my age, I guess. Now get off my lawn, you damn kids!

Al Bigley said...

Larry-

You ain't gonna get a single argument from this corner!

Al