Tuesday, May 25, 2010

1974 Aurora SUPERMAN Comic Scenes Booklet! Curt Swan! DC Comics!


Here is the complete comic booklet that was included with the 1974 Superman "Comic Scenes" model kit re-issue! Fabulous art by Curt Swan (inks by Frank Giacoia), complete with model instructions drawn by (I think) Dave Cockrum, soon to be famous for his X-MEN work! Click each page to enlarge!









Below: The original model kit box, (circa 1965), the 1974 "Comic Scenes" box, the built kit, and unproduced Superman kit design sketches, from the mid-60s! Click to enlarge each!

5 comments:

David E Martin said...

"Dave Cockrum, soon to be famous for his X-MEN work!"
In 1974 Dave Cockrum was ALREADY famous for his Legion of Superheroes work !

Al Bigley said...

I simply meant that, once he took over the "new" X-MEN (soon to become Marvel's top book, thanks largely to his efforts), he would REALLY be in the spotlight!

Best!

Al Bigley

David Edward Martin said...

Back when DC Comics was still at their old offices (666 Lexington Ave?) I think they had a lifesized recreation of this scene, Superman breaking through the wall in the reception lobby.
I can't find any online images of it unfortunately, only photos of their new offices' lobbies. Superman makes a less destructive entrance nowadays.

Al Bigley said...

David-

You may be thinking of the 80s and 90s, where DC had a simple sculpture of Superman, waist-up, emerging/flying thru their lobby wall.

For that period, they also had a full-figure "Clark Kent" figure sitting in the lobby, engaged in perusing a newspaper...

Al Bigley

Anonymous said...

As a kid of the 1970s, I actually got this kit as a gift one year. However, I was not as skilled in working on model kits of this kind, and while I got Supe and the wall painted and assembled just fine, the cape was very heavy plastic and I never got it to stay attached. Now the kit is selling for a lot on evilBay when I could finally do it justice. The kit fell off and hit the floor a few times and I finally blew it up with firecrackers. One part of the brick wall and girder languished around in my stuff until I finally threw it away in the 1980s.