Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Remembering Sam Grainger...

Above is a picture of Marvel inker and penciller, Sam Grainger, from the mid 1980s. He's seated next to fan Robert Clyde Allen. Sam worked on many books, most famously THE AVENGERS, X-MEN, and more.

Sam was one of the first comics pros I ever met, at a 1981 Heroes Mini-Con, in Charlotte, NC. He was all you'd want in a pro, being kind, attentive, funny, and helpful. Sam also joked with my mom, who was in attendance (since I was mere months away from obtaining my driver's license), about their ages and the crazy content of comics.

I wanted to have Sam sign something, but all I had for him to autograph was a newly purchased back issue of FOOM (below) that Sam had no artwork in (an awkward, ill-advised fan move). He graciously signed the back cover, with a lovely inscription.

I refuse to part with that magazine.


No comments: