Sunday, June 7, 2009

Off-Model Madness!





I so love toys and products from before the days of style guides. Those are pre-prepared books full of company-approved images for use on toys, curtains, shirts, beach towels, etc....All committee-directed to be JUST the way all parties want the images to look.


Not so in the 60s and 70s. The firms licensing the characters got to often create the artwork for the products, resulting in some rather--odd--resuslts...Check some of these products sporting "not quite right" artwork of these well-established properties...

6 comments:

POP CULTURE DEBRIS said...

I had the Spidey Spider-Cycle as a kid, and thanks to your generous nature, I own that Batman (and matching Robin) radio / walkie-talkie set. Love those deep purples! Holy shaky traced drawing!

Anonymous said...

That HEAD RINGS face on the Hulk cracks me up. Talk about yer bad hair day... Bret

David said...

Worst. Captain America. Ever.

Gotta love that frisbee, though. Batman: "Go out for a long one, Robin!"

thrdgll said...

I still have the wonderful, round-headed Spidey from the cycle toy...but oh, how I wish I'd kept the package with the crummy Romita tracing. Is it wrong to say I love it more than the original drawing?

POP CULTURE DEBRIS said...

Those round-headed rubber Spidey-Men held up much better than the el-cheapo plastic cycles they straddled ... I've still got mine, too (the Spidey that is - the cycle is long gone).

Jerry Brand said...

I had the Spidey stunt cycle and Batman radio. Long since vanished from my life. I always was tempted to buy the Fantastic Car, but the artwork made me mad and so I never got one.