Monday, September 1, 2008

The Great Gaspar!


I'll let others sing the major praises of comic book letterer Mr. Gaspar Saladino today (please click the "Dial B For Blog" link to the right for the full story), but, let me tell you what a thrill it was to have one of my own projects lettered by this amazing talent.

Gaspar plied his skills to this early 90s book and tape adaptation of the "Almost Got 'Im" episode of BATMAN:THE ANIMATED SERIES. I penciled the book, with Mike DeCarlo inking.
Some say all comic book lettering looks alike. Not so. Gaspar is one of those letterers whose work brings a certain "snap" with it. It's crisp. Tight. Simply well-done and darned attractive. So many classic comics would not be the same lettered by somebody else.

Seriously, I was overjoyed to see such fine lettering by a master applied to my work. It meant a lot to me.

So, yes, go read more abut Gaspar Saladino and realize why hand-lettering is truly an art unto itself.

No comments: