Saturday, August 16, 2008

Batman-Brave and The Bold!


One of the things I loved doing as a kid was creating mock comics covers. For some reason, I HAD to have every darned logo, CCA seal, price label, and blurb in place, just like on a "real" comic book! I saw this as practice for when I'd get to draw the real thing, so...

Here is a rare example of a "cover" that I drew from out of the blue. no referencing other poses, panels, etc.

It's a typical (for the time) Batman death-trap scenario, with Flash tied up and helpless (in an electric chair, no less!), and Batman coming in for a last-minute rescue, certain to give the Joker his custom beat-down!

Don't ask about that wonky perspective, or why we need to see the top of Flash's head, but most of the go-to cover elements are in place. I somehow already understood what needed to be up front, word balloon placement, and setting up an attention- grabbing scene. 

At that time (1974), I thought the Joker HAD to be based on the "dandy-fied" 1968 Filmation cartoon version, then in afternoon rerun rotation. The pointed hairdo. The bolo tie, etc..Still a powerful design...


Don't know why I thought the cover had to priced at 12 cents, at a time when new comics where more than twice that. It could have been my interest in older comics. In those pre-comic shop and internet days, any comic that came before you were collecting seemed a long-gone prize, never to be obtained. There was an allure to all that history you thought you'd never see, except in checklists or history galleries or such....


No comments: