Friday, August 29, 2008

Add-A-Patch!

For any comics fan of a certain (ahem) age, you can recall the tantalizing comic book ads for the superhero patches sold by the Add-A-Patch Emblem Company. I'll include the ad here.


Like most fans of the day, I drooled over many of the items in ads then, but really ordered few at the young age of 8 (the Our Way DC superhero stickers sets were one), but I HAD to have the Batman-related patches offered here. My parents ordered, taking full advantage of the "6 for 5" deal, I waited, and got some great patches that were immediately sewn to my already-stylin' winter nylon jacket. I was the hit of the 3rd grade.

I also somehow ended up with patches of the Superman logo, as well as various "Pows," and Biffs," all sound effects left over from the 1966 BATMAN camp days.

I also recall having the Superdog patch. Dunno where he slipped in..

Two of my patches survive today. The Riddler and Catwoman patches. I'll picture them here.
As you can see, 1973 technology wasn't up to the height of embroidery machines today, so you ended up with a rough, blocky figure definied more by the colors than lines or details.

Never got the Superman and Batman two-for patch.

Darn.

No comments: