Friday, July 6, 2012

Rock and Roll SPIDER-MAN! 1976 Albert Bigley Original Comic Art! The Lizard!

One of my first impressions of the ever-amazing Spider-Man came via the famous (and INfamous) 1972 super-groovy LP, SPIDER-MAN--A ROCKOMIC! This, along with afternoon reruns of the 1967 SPIDER-MAN cartoon, had me becoming a die-hard arachnid aficionado at the tender age of seven! What made it even sweeter were the stellar illustrations by Spidey's best-known artist, John Romita, Sr.! The ROCKOMIC LP came slathered with JRSR's gorgeous graphics not only on the front and back, but also within an eye-popping interior gatefold Spidey strip, too! Plus, the whole pulsatin' package came with a poster of the LP front that still hangs on my wall today! So, it was inevitable that, a few years down the road, I'd try my young hand at drawing much of the art from this audio treasure! Take a glance below, to see my feverish scrawlings based on the beautiful back cover of this rollickin' rock rarity! Altho only eleven years old when I attempted this, I just had to try to master that sense of weight, dynamic anatomy, and lush inking that Romita (seemingly) so easily displayed in his work! How'd I do? Don't answer that, just click below to enlarge..



I can still recall my concerned Mom, eyeing this LP suspiciously in a department store in Cherry Hill, NJ, as I begged and pleaded
for the purchase of this treasure! She thought, based on the exterior of the album, that it was way too "adult" and
frightening for a 7-year-old me, but she relented, and I've never been the same since, God bless her!

No comments: